Under general direction, the BHP will function as part of the pediatric primary care medical team providing mental health consultation, assessment, and solution-focused brief therapy to children, adolescents and families. The BHP will also develop, launch and oversee an agency-wide integrated mental health care program that includes the hiring of additional BHPs. This new position will also be responsible for quality improvement projects, enhanced reimbursement and delegated care.
Duties and responsibilities
- Integrated Behavioral Healthcare Services
- Screens, identifies, coordinates care, and provides brief intervention, risk assessments, triage and referral.
- Assesses patients to determine the appropriate level of mental health intervention, including responding to crises, traumatic events, and urgent psychiatric situations necessitating the writing of mental health holds.
- Supports screening and tracking of identified patient populations as determined by our initiatives (substance use and depression registries, population based health initiatives).
- Supports the primary care team to develop patient care plans that target improvement in all biopsychosocial domains and engages in team-based care.
- Provides short term individual and family therapy, using evidence-based modalities including behavior therapy (BT), solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), motivational interviewing (MI), and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) appropriate to primary care medical settings.
- Provides psychoeducation to patients, families, and staff on a variety of topics related to development, emotional and psychosocial health, and wellbeing.
- Demonstrates clinical competence, the ability to analyze and problem solve effectively, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Maintains on-going competency in the use of the electronic health record (EHR).
- Integrated Care Program
- Develops, launches and oversees an agency-wide integrated mental health care program.
- Hires, trains, supervises and manages behavioral health staff as they are on boarded.
- Develops, monitors and adjusts the BHP team workflow and caseloads within the primary care setting.
- Oversees or participates in processes related to BHP billing, documentation and reimbursement for BHP services.
- Responsible for tracking relevant data and ensuring performance metrics are met.
- Master’s Degree in:
- Social Work (preferred)
- Mental Health Counseling
- Psychology or
- Related graduate degree in behavioral health
- Licensure: Professional licensure in behavioral health in Colorado (required)
- Bilingual English/Spanish (preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years direct clinical experience
- Minimum of 2 years supervising within discipline
- Experience working in medical settings, preferably within an integrated healthcare framework in a primary care setting
- Able to provide services to the population served by Kids First Health Care (ages of 0-21)
The duties outlined above require certain physical capabilities, which must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Support the mission and values Kids First Health Care.
- Flexible and creative. Able to innovate programs and services to ensure sustainability and continued impact.
- Knowledgeable of patient and family rights and ensures an atmosphere, which allows for privacy, dignity and well-being of all.
- Report and/or correct unsafe working conditions, equipment repair and maintenance needs.
- Comply with employee handbook.
- Maintain a safe, clean and efficient work environment. Comply with all safety requirements, including safe work practices, established fire/safety/disaster plans, risk management, security and mandatory state reporting requirements.
- Comply with other delegated functions as requested/approved by supervisor.
This is a new position and will be responsible for hiring and overseeing future BHP staff.
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter to Vickie Ta-Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.